Hello, we are
Coming soon to Brighton.
A safe and inspiring place for the LGBTQ+ community and their friends.
Pull up a chair and make yourself at home…
A centre for our community in the heart of Brighton
From Anne Lister to Oscar Wilde, Brighton has been a draw to queer people for well over 200 years. And while some only pop down for the odd weekend, many more of us have fallen in love with the place so much that we have moved here for good. So many, in fact, that Brighton now has the highest proportion of LGBTQ+ households in the whole of the UK.
Which is why we thought it was about time our community had its own centre. And why we’ve put together this website – to let as many people as possible know about this exciting new project. You can help by sharing this link on social media or by joining our growing band of volunteers.
- Brighton & Hove City Snapshot: Report of Statistics 2014 (PDF). Corporate Policy and Research Team at Brighton & Hove City Council. p. 20. Retrieved 5 August 2015.
Conor Pope – Unsplash.com
The Ledward Centre – in Jubilee Square
Named after James Ledward, one of the city’s most prominent supporters of LGBTQ+ rights, this new and exciting space will be a lasting tribute to his memory and the huge contribution he made to our entire community.
From the building itself – light, modern and accessible – to the services and cultural activities for which it will be home – The Ledward Centre will live and breathe the values that make the full spectrum of Brighton’s LGBTQ+ communities so confident, vibrant and proud.
Haydn Golden – Unsplash.com
And so much has been achieved already:
The Ledward Centre has Community Interest Company status, a legal requirement for a social enterprise that uses its profits and assets for the public good. We are in the final stages of acquiring a building in Jubilee Square. And we have a logo and the beginnings of a website. The one you are looking at right now!
Many hands make light work
Of course, how quickly we can fulfil our plans for the Ledward Centre depends on you. To join our growing band of enthusiastic volunteers from across our communities, please click here for more information.
Watch this space…
Like all of us, the Ledward Centre is a work in progress.
Latest blog posts
- The Ledward Centre building: A Volunteer’s perspective - [Average reading time: 4 minutes] As I stood inside the building looking out, I noticed most people walked straight past without even noticing us. Occasionally someone would look in, possibly because the door was open for a change. The empty shell that is to become The Ledward Centre currently looks fairly unremarkable, but it soon became clear to me that will most definitely change.
- From concept to design: The Ledward Centre building - [Average reading time: 4 minutes] The Ledward Centre has a fortuitous and lovely abbreviation, for TLC is what we are all about; caring for the LGBTQ+ community in Brighton and Hove and reaching those who are isolated within it.
- Your suggestions for Activities and Events in the Café at The Ledward Centre - [Average reading time: 4 minutes] In our community consultation survey, we asked what kind of events could be arranged in the café area. Here is a snapshot of your thoughts so far…
- Potential benefits of an LGBTQ+ Community Talk Radio Station - [Average reading time: 3 minutes] In our community consultation survey we asked what benefits our proposed community radio station could bring. Here are some of your thoughts…